Helping the High Street
Restoring Our High Street
Businesses have been hit hard since the beginning of the pandemic but the High Street has been struggling since way before COVID-19. Labour will seek to help the High Street by creating/doing the following:
- A local veto to stop the Conservatives selling off our town centres to property developers
- Empower councils to fill empty shops with new businesses
- A level playing field for high street businesses and online rivals
- Restore the appearance of our high streets through a Fightback Fund
- Protect family finances so there is money in customers’ pockets.
Castle Point Labour will seek to radically overhaul council owned car parks across the borough so that customers will feel more able to shop without the taking into consideration high parking charges or, as in some places in the borough, unfair & incorrect parking tickets which can cause distress.